Jul 25, 2011

Some People

Some people were to watch, some were there to chart my behavior, some were there to put medicine in me, some were there to keep me comfortable, and some were there to the dirty work, but my main man was Dr. Cohen. He called the shots in the room and he was the single man I put my trust as he literally put his hands and pointed sharp thing at my brain. As you all know you brain controls about everything your body does, your breathing, your mobility, your speech, and considering your brain holds your memories and experiences and those factors make an individual who they are. Dr. Cohen had all my life and everything I am, 24 years of good memories and growing experiences in his hands. As I lay there amazed by the different things that are going on in O.R. I asked if the lady resident could shave my head. I knew she would understand how it was important to me that she did the minimal shaving. As was shaving my head people started asking about big hot pink cast on my leg. I assume it was to get my mind off things. So I told them the story and most of them thought it was cool so we made derby name to all the residence…the anesthesiologist came up with one for herself too. I was completely surprised how cool these people where. I actually had fun talking to the guys, but it didn’t take away the sound I was hearing in my head. They were putting at 6 point halo on me so I could not move my head during surgery. I don’t know why they called it halo because you don’t think of angels when you see this thing in action. They stabilize your head by literally screwing in long rod from different angles into your scull. I heard the bone when they screwed it in. While we were still talking about derby names Dr. Cohen made the cut of no return. I didn’t feel a sing thing except for when the blood started dripping in my ears. The anesthesiologist said I would be taking another nap….again it was a useless one.

6 comments:

Clarissa said...

Just hang in there!!! I know you'll make it through!

Bee Lady said...

I can't imagine...girl you hang in there. Try to go somewhere fun in your mind while this stuff goes on. I usually go to the beach in my mind when things are going on such as Iv's and surgery and such. Hey guess what? I just looked at your little map to the right, the one that says you are here...you have three hearts blinking right now. Three people are thinking of you that you don't even know! That doesn't count all the people you do know thinking of you. Keep writing.

Cindy Bee

janis said...

wow...
I am so glad your medical crew were lovely. Makes such a difference when you have good people. I once had breast surgery & also had to be awake during the procedure. I will never forget, how afraid I was.. My crew wasnt so lovely. They were cold and methodical. At one point a nurse barged in complaining to the nurse tending me, about a schedule conflict. Complaining that she was given a call duty on a day she had asked off. I couldnt believe the stood there arguing over me as if I was not there... I felt like a thing... a work project rather than a terrified patient.
Ive not gone back to that hospital...

Taking Heart said...

Only 8 more rad tx to go! And the countdown begins! We need to celebrate!

You probably hear this all the time, but you are so brave... I am not sure I could have listened & been aware of the happenings in that room... A blessing to have so many warm people caring for you...

Keep writing! You are a natural!

Jean said...

So GLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD to see you posting!!! You have a great attitude Sarah and are obviously a SUPER strong person! Just know that it's okay to cry sometimes........because really STRONG people know it's okay to let the tears flow sometimes.

Just for some chuckles.........what "Derby" names did the O.R. team come up with? Sounds like a fun bunch!

Taking Heart said...

I've been thinking about short term memory loss... and how you could use that to your advantage... like "I dont' remember eating chocolate cake for breakfast... so I might as well have a piece for lunch." See?

Just was thinking bout ya this morning. You have me more addicted to Bones than you know... I'm almost done with season 5 on Netflix and then have to figure out where I shall get a hold of season 6... lol...

Anyhoo my dear... you have a terrific day... you tell that sweet mother of yours to have a good night at work tonight... I'm off to bed...

~e