Jul 24, 2011

The First Thing I Saw was My Enemy

I had a late MRI scheduled the night before the surgery. It was a special MRI to help the surgeon map my brain. The doc gave me a Valium the night before but I still did not sleep a wink; infarct it did the opposite. I was bouncing off the wall. Our hotel room was directly across the hospital helicopter launching pad I sat at the window playing Bejewled and watching the helicopter launch and return. What I was having done the following morning was an awake craniotomy. I could describe it but instead I have my surgeon doing the exact same procedure on a young manJ………. CLICK THIS

4:45am came tooooo quick. By 5:30 we were on our way to surgery perp where the 100 question began again. The speech pathologist came into my prep room and she held a book of notecards in her hand. She asked me to take my glasses off and she held up some cards and then asked if I could read. I replied what note cards? (I’m practically blind) I could not wear glasses because of the sterile zone so they made an exception, they let me wear contacts witch I have no idea why that made me so happy. The anesthesiologist and the speech pathologist took me back to the surgery room where I met my enemy for the first time.The first thing I saw was a huge screen computer with my MRI for the previously night on it. 

 I was blessed through my research and resources to find out Dr. Cohen-Godal was the best neurological surgeon in surrounding states. In the surgery room I watch the surgery team preparing: opening the tools that will be used on my head, arm extensions being put on the medal table, and IV bags out the butt. The anesthesiologist put a 18 gauge IV lind into my left arm and said you be taking a little nap. It was a useless nap because it seems a minute later they were waking me up. I was on the surgery table with an artery line in my wrist and another 18 gauge line into my other arm. There was a ton of people in the room, 10 residences to Dr Cohen, nurses, the anesthesiologist, speech pathologist, not counting the people I couldn't see…

6 comments:

Jean said...

Hang in there Sarah!!! You might not be able to do roller derby anymore(do you believe my daughter didn't know what the heck that was?).........I can't believe she's my child. ;)

Anyways........since you won't be roller skating in circles anymore.......you are such a unique & special soul......I wonder what you'll do......something different I'm sure!

Reality Jayne said...

Sarah....I love the way your writing about this....I want to hear more of your thoughts.....I didnt watch the video...sorry....i was a little queezy on that one...
What about BowTie when do we hear more about him..... :)

janis said...

WOW!
I DID watch the video... amazing! Freakin' Amazing! How Blessed to have such a skillful & knowledgeable Surgeon!
Do tell more! how did it go? How are you feeling? And what is this Bowtie Guy all about?
Love Hugs & Prayers!

Taking Heart said...

that video... it makes me freaked out and anxious a little... to imagine you instead of him... WOW...

and OBVIOUSLY your brain surgery hasn't impeded your mad computer skills... I see what you are doing here... rearranging furniture! LOVE!

Hope you keep it up... blog more... we love to read what you have to say...

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah....may God Bless you sweetheart! You are in our prayers for a swift recovery. Lots of love and blessings to your family!!! Mel

Bee Lady said...

HI Sarah,

Thinking about you. I'm glad you are journaling about all of this. I hope our comments and just knowing we're thinking of you helps you get through this rough time in your sweet life.

Cindy Bee